It is the Policy of the City of Pittsfield to uphold the human rights of all persons in
Pittsfield and the free exercise and enjoyment of any and all rights and privileges
secured by the Constitutions, Laws, Ordinances and Regulations of the United States,
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the City of Pittsfield. As such, actions that
may deny or tend to deny to an individual equal access or opportunity in matters of
housing, employment, education, municipal services, contracts, purchasing or public
accommodations on basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, family status, gender
identity or expression, military status, marital status, national origin, race, religion,
source of income, sex, or sexual orientation, are hereby prohibited. The city shall
protect each individual in the enjoyment of his or her individual civil rights and
shall encourage and bring about mutual understanding and respect among all
individuals in the city through mutual acceptance and tolerance.
In accordance with Chapter 2, Article XXVII of the City Code, the Human Rights Commission:
- Cooperates with federal, state, other city agencies and other groups in developing courses and other resources.
- Creates and empowers subcommittees to help put into effect Pittsfield’s human rights policies.
- Cooperates with the city affirmative action officers in enforcing the Affirmative Action policies of the City of Pittsfield.
- Recommends to the mayor anything it deems will effectuate the City’s human rights policies.
- Raises and administers supplemental funds to help achieve equal rights within the City of Pittsfield.
- Issues an annual written report of its activities to the Mayor and the City Council.
U.N. Universal Declaration of Human Rights