What is a Citizens Academy?
- The Citizens Academy is a free 10-week session program designed to teach citizens about how their local government operates. The academy gives first-hand exposure to many city departments to highlight their various functions in municipal government. Participants will also gain insight into opportunities in how they can be more involved at the local government level.
- The Citizens Academy is held on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 to 8:00pm from August 25th to October 27th, 2021. Completion certificates will be provided at the November 9 City Council meeting which starts at 6pm and is held at City Hall in the Council Chambers.
- The 10 weekly sessions are held at various locations within the city.
- During these sessions, participants interact first hand with department heads and other city staff to learn about the day to day operations, tour various workspaces and take part in breakout activities.
- Class size will be limited to 25 participants per year.
- Introduction and Overview of Municipal Government
- Police and Fire Departments
- Department of Public Services & Utilities
- Community Development
- City Clerk
- Cultural Development
- Berkshire Athenaeum
- Information Technology
- Building Inspectors
For additional information, please contact Catherine VanBramer in the Mayor’s Office at (413) 499-9321 or at firstname.lastname@example.org