The Department of Public Utilities Water Division operates the municipally owned public water utility system that is regulated by the Federal and State drinking water laws. The maintenance and operation of the City’s two water filtration plants is charged to the Water Division. The Division also oversees the security of the watershed land. The Water Division coordinates the maintenance work for the sewer collection system and assists the Department of Public Services as necessary with the maintenance of the storm water systems.
The Water Division also provides the following services to the residents of Pittsfield:
- Performs annual hydrant flushing of water distribution system
- 24 hour response to clear sewer main blockages
- Investigates dirty water and other drinking water complaints
- Repairs water main breaks
- Coordinates testing of backflow devices in accordance with the Cross-Connection Program