Tenants Rights During the Covid-19 Pandemic

Here's what you need to know:
1) Evictions must be court ordered: tenants cannot be evicted or forced to move from their homes without a court order. Notices to Quit: do not mean that you need to leave your home.
2) Delays in Eviction Cases: Eviction cases will be delayed if there is a pending application for emergency rental assistance.
3) Financial Assistance: Tenants and landlords can apply for Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) or the Emergency Rental and Mortgage Assistance (ERMA) program for financial aid. For local assistance, contact BCHA.com or call 413-443-7138
4) Legal Assistance Services: Tenants who receive a Notice to Quit, or other legal documents from their landlords, can contact the Covid-19 legal help line by calling 617-727-8400.
5) To learn more about how can you get help with your housing crisis visit https://berkshirehousing.com/hcec.

              Derechos de los Inquilinos durante la Pandemia de Covid-19

Esto es lo que necesita saber:
1) Los desalojos deben ser ordenados por la corte: los inquilinos no pueden ser desalojados o forzados a mudarse de su casa sin una orden de la corte. Notices to Quit: no implica que debe dejar su hogar.
2) Demoras en los casos de Desalojo: Los casos de desalojo serán demorados si hay una aplicación pendiente para asistencia de emergencia con el alquiler.
3) Asistencia Financiera: Los inquilinos y los landlords pueden aplicar para Ayuda Asistencial para Familias en Transición (RAFT) o Asistencia de Emergencia para Renta e Hipotecas  (ERMA). Para asistencia local, contacte BCHA.com o llame al 413-443-7138
4) Servicios de Asistencia Legal: TLos inquilinos que hayan recibido una Notice to Quit, u otro  documento legal de sus landlords, pueden contactar a la línea legal Covid-19 llamando al 617-727-8400.
5) Para obtener mas información sobre cómo puede obtener ayuda con su crisis de vivienda,  visite https://berkshirehousing.com/hcec.

For Information and resources available to landlords / Para informacion y recursos disponibles para los propietarios, haga click aqui.
Click here:Notice to Quit and Resources to Landlords

                                                   Fair Housing

The City Of Pittsfield distributes two handbooks, Information for Landlords and Information for Tenants.  Both handbooks address Landlord/Tenant issues and the Fair Housing laws.  It also includes information on other local services and sample documents, such as a standard lease, rental agreement and other letters a landlord or tenant may need. It is available at no cost at the Department of Community Development, 70 Allen Street, Room 205 in Pittsfield.  

The City also runs a Fair Housing hotline service.  The public is invited to call with questions at 499-9367.  Service is available between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, any messages left outside of these hours will be returned the next business day.

Vivienda Justa

 La ciudad de Pittsfield distribuye dos manuales, Información para Propietarios e Información para Inquilinos. Ambos manuales abordan temas de Propietario/Inquilino y las Leyes de Vivienda Justa. También incluye información sobre otros servicios locales y ejemplos de documentos, como contrato estandar de alquiler, y ejemplos de otras cartas que el propietario o inquilino pueda necesitar. Estos manuales están disponibles sin costo en el Departamento de Desarrollo Comunitario, 70 Allen Street, Sala 205 en Pittsfield. 

La Ciudad también tiene un servicio de linea directa de Vivienda Justa. El público está invitado a llamar con preguntas al 499-9367. El servicio está disponible de Lunes a Viernes de 8:30 am a 4:00 pm. Los mensajes recibidos fuera de este horario, serán respondidos al día hábil siguiente. 

                                               Fair Housing Laws

The Title VII Civil Rights Act of 1968 made it illegal to discriminate in housing based on the following :
  • Race, color, national origin, sex, religion, familial status(children)
The Massachusetts Anti-Discrimination Law made it illegal to discriminate in housing based on the following: 
  • Receipt of public or rental assistance
  • Physical or mental disability
  • Military status
  • Sexual orientation.
  • Age (excluding minors)

Some types of housing are given an exemption from this rule.  For example children may be excluded from housing intended for and occupied by persons 62 years or older.  Also owner-occupied two family homes can legally refuse to rent to children or a person with a disability.  If, however, they use discriminatory advertising or use the services of a real estate firm to locate prospective tenants the exemption no longer applies.

The two most common types of housing discrimination in Berkshire County are discrimination against families with children where lead is present in the rental unit and discrimination against families or individuals receiving public or rental assistance.  In Massachusetts it is illegal to refuse to rent to a tenant and their children because the rental unit contains lead paint and it is also illegal under Massachusetts law to refuse to rent to families or individuals receiving public or rental assistance.   

If you believe you have been discriminated against in housing and need assistance in filing a complaint, contact the City’s Fair Housing Officer at 499-9367.  

                                           Leyes de Vivienda Justa

La Ley de Derechos Civiles - Título VII de 1968, dicta que es ilegal discriminar en la vivienda en base a lo siguiente:
  • Raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, religión, estado familiar (niños)
La Ley contra la Discriminación de Massachusetts, prohibe discriminar en la vivienda en función de lo siguiente:
  • Recibo de asistencia pública o de alquiler
  • Disabilidad física o mental
  • Situación militar
  • Orientación sexual
  • Edad (excluyendo a menores)
Algunos tipos de vivienda reciben una excepción de esta regla. Por ejemplo, los niños pueden ser excluidos de viviendas destinadas a ser ocupadas por mayores de 62 años de edad. Tambien las casas para dos familias ocupadas por sus propietarios pueden negarse legalmente a alquilar a niños o una persona con una discapacidad. Sin embargo, si se utiliza publicidad discriminatoria o se utilizan los servicios de una empresa de bienes raíces para ubicar a posibles inquilinos, la excepción no es válida.

                                    Massachusetts Lead Paint Laws

Lead poisoning is a disease that can cause permanent brain damage to a child’s brain, kidneys and nervous system.  It can also result in serious learning and behavior problems. Children under the age of six run the highest risk of lead poisoning because their brains and nervous systems are more sensitive.  Pregnant women are also at risk to expose the fetus to lead during fetal development. 

Lead paint is most often found on the inside and outside of homes built before 1978.  The main way children and adults become lead poisoned is by ingesting lead paint dust or chips.  Even a small amount of lead can poison a child.  Lead paint under layers of nonleaded paint can still poison a child, especially when disturbed, either through normal wear and tear or home repairs.  Most lead poisoning is caused by children’s normal behavior of putting hands or other things which may have lead dust in their mouths.  The only way to determine if someone has been poisoned by lead is by a blood test.  Children in Massachusetts must be tested at least once a year from when they are nine months old until they are four years old.

The lead law requires the removal or covering of lead paint hazards in homes built before 1978 where any children under six live.  Before renting a home built before 1978 the property owner and tenant must sign two copies of the Tenant Lead Law Notification and Tenant Certification Form.  If there has been a lead inspection or risk assessment report for the property or if a Letter of Compliance or Interim Control has been issued for the property, a copy must also be provided to the new tenant.  

A landlord cannot evict or refuse to rent to someone because of the presence of or suspected presence of lead paint. This is discrimination and is illegal.

For more information regarding lead paint, things you can do to prevent lead poisoning, deleading safely, or the laws regarding lead paint, contact the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP) at 1-800-532-9571. 

                         Leyes de Pintura con Plomo en Massachusetts

El envenenamiento por plomo es una enfermedad que puede causar daño cerebral permanente en el cerebro, los riñones, y el sistema nervioso de un niño. Tambien puede dar lugar a graves problemas de aprendizaje y comportamiento. Los niños menores de seis años corren el mayor riesgo de envenenamiento por plomo porque sus cerebros y sistemas nerviosos son mas sensibles. Las mujeres embarazadas también corren risgo de exponer el feto al plomo durante el desarrollo fetal. 

La pintura con plomo se encuentra con mayor frecuencia dentro y fuera de las casas construidas antes de 1978. La principal forma en que los niños y adultos se envenenan con plomo es ingiriendo polvo o astillas de pintura con plomo. Una pequeña cantidad puede envenenar a un niño. La pintura con plomo debajo de capas de pintura sin plomo aún puede envenenar a un niño, especialmente cuando se lo molesta, ya sea por el desgaste normal o por reparaciones en el hogar. La mayoria del envenenamiento por plomo es causado por el comportamiento normal de los niños de llevarse las manos o otros objetos, que pueden tener polvo de plomo, a la boca. La única forma de determinar si alguien ha sido envenenado con plomo es mediante un análisis de sangre. En Massachusetts, los niños entre 9 meses y 4 años de edad, deben hacerse la prueba por lo menos una vez al año.

La Ley de Plomo requiere que se eliminen o recubran los peligros de la pintura con plomo en las casas construidas antes de 1978 donde viven menores de 6 años. Antes de alquilar un inmueble, el inquilino y el propietario deben firmar dos copias del formulario de Notificación de la Ley de Pintura con Plomo y del Formulario de Certificación del Inquilino. Si anteriormente se ha realizado una inspección o hay un informe de evaluaciónd de riesgos para la propiedad, debe proporcionarsele una copia al nuevo inquilino. 

Un propietario no puede desalojar o negarse a alquilar a alguien debido a la presencia o presunta presencia de pintura con plomo. Esto es discriminación, y es ilegal.

Para obtener mas información sobre la pintura con plomo, las acciones que puede hacer para prevennir el envenenamiento por plomo, eliminarlo de manera segura, o las leyes de la Pintura con Plomo, contacte el Programa de Prevención Infantil de Envenenamiento por Plomo al 1-800-532-9571. 

Analysis of the Impediments to Fair Housing in Pittsfield

The Massachusetts Fair Housing Center recently completed an Analysis of the Impediments to Fair Housing. Click on the link to read the full report.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”) imposes an obligation to affirmatively further fair housing on recipients of certain HUD funding. In 2019, DHCD updated its Analysis of Impediments with assistance from a consultant and input from an AI Advisory Council in addition to other stakeholders and members of the public.  To read this document, visit the following link: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/analysis-of-impediments-to-fair-housing-choice-ai 

                      Frequently Asked Questions/ Preguntas Frecuentes                   

1.)  What programs are available to assist landlords and tenants?

  • Berkshire County Regional Housing Authority: legal (educational) counseling for housing and related matters. 1 Fenn St. 3rd floor, Pittsfield, Ma.
    Phone: 413-443-7138

  • Community Legal Aid: legal services available regarding housing issues.  152 North St. Pittsfield, Ma.
    Phone: 413-499-1950 or 1-800-639-1509

  • Berkshire Housing Services - Housing Consumer Education Center. Offers answers to prospective buyers, tenants, landlords and homeowners regarding housing problems. 1 Fenn St. 3rd floor. Pittsfield, Ma. Phone: 413-499-1630   

         Qué programas hay disponibles para ayudar a propietarios e inquilinos?

  • Berkshire County Regional Housing Authority: Consejería legal (educativa) para la vivienda y asuntos relacionados.  1 Fenn St. 3er piso. Pittsfield, Ma
    Teléfono: 413-443-7138

  •  Asistencia Jurídica Comunitaria: Servicios legales disponibles relacionados con problemas de la vivienda. 152 North St. Pittsfield, Ma.
    Teléfono: 413-499-1950 o 1-800-639-1509

  • Servicios de Berkshire Housing - Centro de Educación del Consumidor de Vivienda. Provee respuestas sobre problemas de viviendas a posibles compradores, inquilinos, y propietarios. 1 Fenn St. 3er piso. Pittsfield, Ma. Teléfono: 413-499-1630 

2.)   How much can my landlord increase my rent by? 
In Massachusetts, landlords of private, unsubsidized housing, can ask for as much rent as they want. The landlord can not raise the rent if you have a written rental agreement that has not ended. The landlord should give you proper written notice of the increase.
It is, however, illegal in Massachusetts for a landlord to raise the rent due to a tenant asserting their rights.  Specifically if you have filed a lawsuit against your landlord, organized or joined a tenants’ organization or reported violations of the State Sanitary Code or other housing laws then a retaliatory rent increase would be illegal. 

       Cuánto puede el propietario aumentar mi alquiler?
En Massachusetts, los propietarios de viviendas privadas sin subsidio, pueden solicitar la renta que deseen. El propietario si tiene un contrato de alquiler por escrito que no ha finalizado, no puede aumentar el alquiler. El propietario debe notificar por escrito y de manera apropiada, el aumento de alquiler.
Sin embargo, en Massachusetts es ilegal que un propietario aumente la renta debido a que un inquilino hace valer sus derechos. Especificamente si ha iniciado una demanda contra el propietario, organizó o se unió a una organización de inquilinos o reportó violaciones del Código Sanitario del Estado u otras leyes de vivienda. En estas circunstancias el aumento de alquiler es ilegal.

3.)   When can a landlord enter the tenant’s premises?
A landlord may enter the tenant’s premises in the case of an emergency.  If it is not an emergency, a landlord needs to provide 24 hour prior notice and the tenant must provide reasonable access to the landlord for the following reasons:

  • To make repairs to the apartment as required by law
  • To inspect the apartment
  • To show the apartment to prospective tenants or buyers.
       Cuándo un propietario puede ingresr al domicilio de su inquilino?
Un propietario puede ingresar a las instalaciones del inquilino en caso de emergencia. Si no se trata de una emergencia, el propietario debe notificar con 24 hrs. de anticipación y el inquilino debe permitir al propietario un acceso razonable por las siguientes razones:

  • Para hacer reparaciones en el inmueble requeridas por la ley.
  • Para realizar una inspección
  • Para mostrar el apartamento a posibles inquilinos o compradores.      

4.)    My landlord is refusing to return my security deposit. Is this legal? 
The landlord can keep the security deposit only to pay for damages you may have caused to the apartment or for unpaid back rent.  If you caused damage to the apartment, the landlord must give you a detailed list of the damages caused and estimated cost to repair them within 30 days of your moving out.  The damages cannot include “reasonable wear and tear”.  For example the cost to repaint the apartment because the paint is drab or problems that may have existed prior to your moving in should not be deducted from your security deposit.  The landlord must also provide you with proof of the cost of repairs, such as estimates, receipts or invoices to substantiate the cost of repairs. 

        El propietario se rehusa a devolverme el seguro de depósito. Es esto legal? 
El propietario puede retener el depósito de seguridad solo para pagar los daños que Ud. haya causado en la propiedad o el alquiler retroactivo no pagado. Si Ud. causó daños al apartamento, el propietario debe darle una lista detallada de los daños con el costo estimado para repararlos, dentro de los 30 días de su mudanza. Los daños no pueden incluir "desgaste por uso razonable". Por ejemplo, el costo por pintar el apartamento porque la pintura está "sucia", o problemas que hayan existido antes de que Ud. haya tomado posesión del apartamento no deben descontarse de su seguro de depósito. El propietario debe proporcionar además un comprobante del costo de las reparaciones, como estimados, facturas o recibos que corroboren el costo de las reparaciones.

5.)    Heat is included in my rent and my apartment is cold. What should I do?
From September 16 to June 14, the landlord must provide facilities to heat every room (including bathrooms) to at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. and 64 degrees Fahrenheit between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m..  If this is not the case and you do not have adequate heat, contact the landlord immediately and make them aware of the situation.  Be as specific and detailed as possible about the problem. Document as much as possible the steps you have taken to notify your landlord.  If you do not have heat within 24 hours, you may contact the Board of Health. By Massachusetts law, the landlord cannot evict you for reporting a violation of the State Sanitary Code to the Board of Health. 

        La calefacción está incluida en mi renta, pero mi apartamento está frio. Qué debo hacer?
Desde el 16 de Setiembre hasta el 14 de Junio, el propietario debe proveer la manera de calefaccionar cada habitación del inmueble (incuido el baño) hasta por lo menos 68 grados Fahrenheit entre las 7.00 am y las 11.00 pm, y 64 grados Fahrenheit entre las 11.00 pm y las 7.00 am. Si esto no es así, y no tiene suficiente calefacción, contacte al propietario y notifíquele su situación. Sea lo más detallado posible sobre el problema. Documente de la mejor manera, los pasos que ha hecho para notificar al propietario. Si dentro de las 24 hrs. Ud. no tiene la calefacción adecuada, contacte a la Junta de Salud. Según las leyes de Massachusetts, el propietario no puede desalojarlo por reportar una violación del Código Sanitario de Salud del Estado a la Junta de Salud. 

6.)    I have a child under the age of six and I was told I can not rent an apartment because there is lead paint in that apartment.
It is illegal for a landlord to refuse to rent to you because of the presence of lead paint.  In Massachusetts the law requires that a landlord remove or abate the lead paint condition when an apartment contains a child under the age of six.  You may wish to file a housing discrimination complaint against the landlord. 

      Tengo un hijo menor de 6 años y me han dicho que no puedo alquilar un apartamento porque tiene pintura con plomo.
Es ilegal que un propietario se niegue a alquilarle el apartamento debido a la presencia de pintura con plomo. Las leyes de Massachusetts requiren que un propietario remueva o elimine la pintura con plomo cuando hay un niño menor de 6 años. Puede presentar una queja de discriminación contra el propietario.

7.)    I receive Section 8 housing assistance and was told by a prospective landlord that they do not accept Section 8.  
It is against the law in Massachusetts to discriminate against you due to the fact that you receive housing assistance. A landlord, however, does have the right to evaluate your ability to pay your portion of the rent and refuse to rent to you based on those grounds. A landlord also has the right to refuse to rent to you because the housing agency will not pay the requested amount of rent. If you feel that you were refused housing due to the fact that you receive housing assistance, document everything that occurred. The housing agency that issued the voucher can help you investigate if discrimination occurred and will give you information on how to file a complaint.
         Recibo un voucher de Sección 8, y un potencial landlord me dijo que no acepta vouchers de Sección 8.
En Massachusetts, es contra la ley discriminar por el hecho de que recibes un voucher de Sección 8. Sin embargo, el propietario tiene derecho a evaluar tu habilidad para pagar tu parte de la renta, y rehusarse a alquilar el inmueble en base a ello. Un propietario también tiene el derecho de rehusarse a alquilar el inmueble porque la agencia de vivienda no pagará la cantidad de renta solicitada. Si siente que se le negó el alquiler porque recibe asistencia para la vivienda, documente todo lo ocurrido. La agencia de vivienda que emitió el voucher, lo puede ayudar a investigar si hubo discriminación, y le brindará información para hacer un reclamo.

8.)    How late must my rent be before I can be served with an eviction notice
Your landlord has the right to serve you with an eviction notice or 14 day notice to quit as soon as your rent is past due
        Qué tan atrazada debe estar mi renta para que reciba un aviso de desalojo? 
 El propietario tiene el derecho de entregarle un avisio de desalojo o  un Aviso de 14 dias para renunciar tan pronto como su renta esté vencida.

9.)    Does my landlord have to give me a reason for evicting me? 
If you have a lease, a landlord can only evict you for not paying the rent, violating the lease or using the apartment for an illegal purpose. Once your lease has expired, the landlord does not have to give a reason for evicting you.  If you do not have a lease, the landlord does not have to give a reason for evicting you.  In order to evict you, a landlord must give you proper notice that your tenancy is being terminated and must have permission from the court to take possession of your apartment. 
         El propietario debe darme una razón para desalojarme? 
Si Ud. tiene un contrato de alquiler, el propietario puede desalojarlo por no pagar la renta, violar el contrato de alquiler, o por utilizar el apartamento con fines ilegales. Una vez que su contrato de alquiler caduca, el propietario no necesita un motivo para desalojarlo. Si no tiene un contrato de alquiler, el propietario no debe dar una razón para desalojarlo. Para desalojarlo, el propietario debe darle aviso apropiado de que el inquilinato está siendo terminado, y debe tener permiso de la corte para tomar posesión del apartamento.

10.)   I received a 14 Days Notice to Quit. What should I do?
The notice tells you to leave in a certain number of days. You do not have to move out by the date on a Notice to Quit. But do not ignore it. No matter what a landlord or a landlord's lawyer says, a landlord must go to court and obtain permission from a judge to evict a tenant. 
Try to get legal help/counseling services. Your options depends on your situation. All options have strict deadlines. 

        Recibí una Noticia de 14 Dias para Renunciar. Qué debo hacer?
La Noticia le dice que debe irse en un número de días. Ud. no tiene que mudarse antes del día que figura en la Noticia. Pero no ignore esto. Mas allá de lo que diga el propietario o su abogado, el propietario debe ir a la corte y obtener permiso del juez para desalojarlo.
Trate de obtener ayuda legal/servicios de asesoramiento. Sus opciones dependen de su situación. Todas las opciones tienen plazos estrictos.

11.)    Can I be protected against a utility company’s shutting off or terminating my electric or gas service? 

Customers are often protected against a utility company's shutting off or terminating their service, even if they cannot afford to pay their bills, if they fit into one or more of these categories:

a.  Serious Illness Electric, gas, and private water companies cannot shut off your service if you, your child, or someone else in your household is seriously ill and you cannot afford to pay your bills because of financial hardship. The utility companies must treat any medical condition that a doctor considers a serious illness as a serious illness. To protect yourself against a shut-off, you should take the following steps as soon as possible:

  • Contact your doctor, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner. Ask them to immediately contact the utility company by phone and tell the company that you are or someone in your household is seriously ill. Make sure the doctor has your name and address to give to the utility.
  • Within seven days of this initial phone contact, the doctor must send a letter to the utility company certifying the illness. Tell your doctor to include the words "serious illness" in the letter and to describe the illness. If it is a chronic or long-term illness, the doctor should include the words "chronic illness" in the letter. A letter that states that the illness is a "chronic illness" will result in 180 days of protection before you have to renew it.
  • Contact the company and ask them to send you a financial hardship form. You must complete and submit this form as proof that you are unable to pay the amount you owe.
  • Your doctor, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner, will need to send a new letter at the end of the protected period. Serious illness letters can be renewed for as long as the illness persists.

 b. Winter ProtectionElectric and gas companies cannot shut off your service between November 15 and March 15 if you cannot afford to pay your utility bills and if the service is used to heat your house. To get winter protection, you need to fill out a financial hardship form.

If you think you may have trouble paying winter heat bills, call your company and ask them to send you a financial hardship form. Fill it out and return it as soon as possible. After you do this, you are protected against a shut-off between November 15 and March 15 (or a later date, if the DPU* extends the winter moratorium).

 c. Families with Infants: Electric, gas, and private water companies cannot shut off your service if you cannot afford to pay your bill and if there is an infant under one year old living in your house. To get this protection, you must submit a financial hardship form. You must also prove your child's age, through a birth certificate, letter, or official document from a physician, hospital, government agency, clergyman, or religious institution.

d. Elderly Households: Electric, Gas, and Water. If you and all the adult members of your household are 65 years or older, it is very difficult for a company to shut off utility service. To protect yourself, you should notify the utility company if every adult in your household is 65 or older

Companies must allow elderly households to identify a third-party contact person who can warn them if a utility company threatens to shut off service. To get this protection, contact your utility company and ask for a Third Party Notification Form. You can name a friend, relative, or home-care provider as a third party. After you give a company this form, the company must then notify your third party of all overdue bills and shut-off notices. This third party is not legally responsible for paying your bill.

Companies cannot shut off service to elderly households without written permission from the DPU*. Because this would involve a hearing before the DPU, companies rarely even request permission to shut off service to these households.

 *DPU  Department Public Utilities. 1 South Station, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02110 - Phone: (617) 305-3500 - Fax: (617) 345-9101 - https://www.mass.gov/orgs/department-of-public-utilities

Many customers cannot afford to pay their utility bills and are not eligible for any of the special protections against shut-offs previously discussed. If you find yourself in this situation, you still are eligible for a payment plan.  Utility companies must provide customers with payment plans that allow a customer to take several months to pay overdue bills. You have the absolute right to spread payment of overdue bills over a minimum of four months. 

          ¿Puedo estar protegido contra la desconección de un servicio público o la terminación de mi servicio eléctrico o de gas? 
Los clientes a menudo están protegidos contra la desconección  o la terminación de su servicio por parte de una compañía de servicios públicos, incluso si no pueden pagar sus cuentas, si encajan en una o más de estas categorías.

a) Enfermedad graveLas compañías de agua, electricidad y gas no pueden cancelar su servicio si usted, su hijo o alguien en su hogar está gravemente enfermo, y no puede pagar sus facturas debido a dificultades financieras. Las compañías de servicios públicos deben tratar cualquier condición médica que un médico considere una enfermedad grave como una enfermedad grave. Para protegerse contra un corte, debe seguir los siguientes pasos lo antes posible:
  • Comuníquese con su médico, asistente médico o enfermera. Pídales que se comuniquen de inmediato, telefónicamente, con la compañía de servicios públicos y le confirmen a la compañía que usted o alguien de su hogar está gravemente enfermo. Asegúrese que el médico tenga su nombre y dirección disponible para notificar a la companía.
  • Dentro de los siete días de este contacto telefónico inicial, el médico debe enviar una carta a la compañía de servicios que certifique la enfermedad. Dígale a su médico que incluya las palabras "enfermedad grave" y que describa la enfermedad. Si se trata de una enfermedad crónica o de larga duración, el médico debe incluir las palabras "enfermedad crónica" en la carta. Una carta que indique que la enfermedad es una "enfermedad crónica" dará como resultado 180 días de protección antes de que tenga que renovarla.
  • Póngase en contacto con la compañía y solicite que le envíen un formulario de dificultades financieras. Debe completar y enviar este formulario como prueba de que no puede pagar el monto que debe.
  • Su médico, asistente médico o enfermera deberá enviar una nueva carta al final del período de protección. Las cartas de enfermedades graves pueden renovarse mientras persista la enfermedad.
 b) Protección de invierno. Solo para servicios de luz y gas: las compañías eléctricas y de gas no pueden cortar su servicio entre el 15 de noviembre y el 15 de marzo si no puede pagar sus facturas de servicios públicos y si el servicio se usa para calentar su casa. Para obtener la protección de invierno, debe completar un formulario de dificultades financieras.
Si Ud. cree que va a tener dificultades para pagar facturas de calefacción en invierno, llame a su compañía y solicite que le envíen un formulario de dificultades financieras. Complételo y devuélvalo a la brevedad. Así quedará protegido contra un corte de servicio entre el 15 de noviembre y el 15 de marzo (o una fecha posterior, si la DPU * extiende la moratoria invernal).

c) Familias con bebés: Las compañías de agua, eléctricas y de gas no pueden cortar su servicio si no pueden pagar su factura y si hay un bebé menor de un año viviendo en su casa. Para obtener esta protección, debe completar un formulario de dificultades financieras. También deberá probar la edad de su bebe, a través de un certificado de nacimiento, carta o documento oficial de un médico, hospital, agencia gubernamental, clérigo o institución religiosa. 

d) Hogares con Personas Mayores: Electricidad, Gas y Agua. 
Si usted y todos los miembros adultos de su hogar tienen 65 años o más, es muy difícil para una empresa cortar el servicio público. Para protegerse, debe notificar a la compañía de servicios si todos los adultos en su hogar tienen 65 años o más.
Las empresas deben permitir que los hogares de personas mayores identifiquen a una persona de contacto de terceros que pueda advertirles si una compañía de servicios públicos amenaza con cortar el servicio. Para obtener esta protección, comuníquese con su compañía de servicios públicos y solicite un Formulario de notificación de terceros. Puede nombrar a un amigo, pariente o proveedor de cuidado en el hogar como un tercero. Después de darle a una empresa este formulario, la empresa debe notificar a su tercero de todas las facturas vencidas y avisos de cierre. Este tercero no es legalmente responsable de pagar su factura.
Las empresas no pueden cortar el servicio a los hogares de personas mayores sin el permiso por escrito de la DPU *. Debido a que esto implicaría una audiencia ante la DPU, las empresas rara vez solicitan permiso para cortar el servicio en estos hogares.

*DPU. Departamento de Servicios Públicos. 1 South Station, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02110 - Teléfono: (617) 305-3500 - Fax: (617) 345-9101 - https://www.mass.gov/orgs/department-of-public-utilities

Muchos clientes no pueden pagar sus facturas de servicios públicos y no son elegibles para ninguna de las protecciones especiales contra el corte de servicio que mencionamos anteriormente. Si Ud. se encuentra en esta situación, aún es elegible para un plan de pago. Las empresas de servicios públicos deben proporcionar a los clientes planes de pago que permitan a los clientes pagar las facturas vencidas. Usted tiene el derecho absoluto de distribuir el pago de facturas vencidas durante un mínimo de cuatro meses.

12.)  I received a shut off notice, and I don’t have the money to pay my bill. Are there any programs/agencies that might be able to help me avoid the service disconnection?

        a. BCAC. Berkshire Community Action - Fuel Assistance Program.
Fuel assistance is a federally funded program to assist low income households with their heating bills. This program runs November 1st – April 30th of each year. Who is eligible to receive fuel assistance? Any low-income household whose gross yearly income falls at or below the income guidelines may be eligible. Homeowners and tenants can both be eligible to receive fuel assistance. All heating types are included in the fuel assistance program, even some households who have heat included in their rent.

If you believe you may be eligible for fuel assistance, call the main office at 413-445-4503 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, to make an appointment.

        b. Berkshire Housing HCEC.
Any family/individual can walk into or call the Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) to complete the Intake Assessment form to request financial assistance. You do not require an in-person appointment to complete an intake assessment. Completing a HCEC Intake is the first step to learn about what programs are available to assist you. 1 Fenn Street, Pittsfield, Ma. Phone 413-499-1630. Office hours Mon-Fri 8.00 am to 4.30 pm.  www.berkshirehousing.com.

          Recibí un aviso de cierre y no tengo el dinero para pagar mi factura. ¿Hay algún programa / agencia que pueda ayudarme a evitar la desconexión del servicio?
       a. BCAC. Berkshire Community Action - Programa de asistencia de combustible.
La asistencia de combustible es un programa financiado por el gobierno federal para ayudar a los hogares de bajos ingresos con sus facturas de calefacción. Este programa se ejecuta del 1 de noviembre al 30 de abril de cada año. ¿Quién es elegible para recibir asistencia de combustible? Cualquier hogar de bajos ingresos cuyos ingresos brutos anuales estén dentro de las pautas de ingreso, puede ser elegible. Los propietarios y los inquilinos pueden ser elegibles para recibir asistencia de combustible. Todos los tipos de calefacción están incluidos en el programa de asistencia de combustible, incluso en algunos hogares que tienen la calefacción incluida en el alquiler.

Si Ud. cree que puede ser elegible para recibir asistencia de combustible, llame a la oficina principal al 413-445-4503 entre las 8:00 a.m. y las 4 p.m. De lunes a viernes, para hacer una cita.

      b. Berkshire Housing HCEC.
Cualquier familia / individuo puede acercarse o llamar al Centro de Educación del Consumidor de Viviendas (HCEC) para completar el formulario de Evaluación de Admisión solicitando asistencia financiera. No necesita hacer una cita para completar una evaluación de admisión. Completar la evaluación de admisión de HCEC es el primer paso para conocer qué programas hay disponibles para ayudarlo. 1 Fenn Street, Pittsfield, Ma. Teléfono 413-499-1630. Horario de atención de lunes a viernes de 8.00 a.m. a 4.30 p.m. www.berkshirehousing.com