The Pittsfield Municipal Airport is under the care, custody, and management of a seven member Pittsfield Municipal Airport Commission (PMAC) appointed by the Mayor. The Commission shall exercise all the powers and duties of airport commissions under the General Laws Chapter 90, Section 51E-N. This Commission is empowered by state law and is regulated by the MassDOT Aeronautics Division and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
The Pittsfield Municipal Airport Commission has the following primary functions:
- Provides airport infrastructure; marked asphalt runways, navigable airspace, taxiways, apron areas (36 acres), and to generate revenue for reliable and safe aircraft operations to accommodate both based and transient users.
- Provides for and manages:
- Nine aircraft hangar ground leases that comprise over 70,000 square feet of building space and over 250,000 square feet of asphalt aircraft tie down and apron areas;
- The Westwood Industrial Park which includes seven leased lots with buildings totaling over 23 acres; and
- One terminal building that is handicap accessible with managed lease spaces to accommodate the fixed base operator for aircraft charter, fueling, maintenance, flight training, sales and general aviation services.
- Ensures and regulates aircraft fueling services which are provided to both based and transient aircraft as part of contractual services by the fixed base operator.
- Contracts with two national rental car agencies to provide rental car services for transient aircraft operators.
- Provides, manages, and maintains over 80 short and long term parking spaces.
- Manages public vending services that include soft drinks and snacks.