The Pittsfield Municipal Airport will host its first-ever “Wings, Wheels, and Warbirds” event from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 8 at the airport. The daylong event will feature an impressive display of aircraft, automobiles, and motorcycles, in addition to a host of other activities, including a car show by the Pittsfield Piston Poppers.
There will also be flying aircraft demonstrations, biplane, helicopter and hot air balloon tethered rides. Military helicopters and other aircraft are expected to be on display. Additionally, there will be a pull-a-plane competition to sponsor the Massachusetts Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics.
Admission is free but there will be a $10 per car parking fee, with proceeds going toward the Pittsfield Girls Soccer Team.
The event schedule includes the following activities throughout the day, unless a time is specified:
- Tethered balloon rides: The RE/MAX Hot Air Balloon will be on site giving tethered balloon rides; proceeds will be donated to the Special Olympics.
- Touch-a-truck: The display offers children a hands-on opportunity to explore a variety of heavy equipment, trucks and machinery while also meeting the people who build, protect and serve the community. Parent supervision is required.
- Young Eagles. The South Mountain Flying club will be offering rides through the Young Eagles program. Since1992, the Young Eagles program has given youth ages 8–17 free rides in an airplane.
- Scenic rides: View the Berkshires from the air via helicopter and scenic plane rides.
- Hot air balloon departure: Hot air balloon will departing the airport between 6:30 – 7 a.m.
- Runway run: The Pittsfield Cross Country Track team will be holding a runway run to benefit the cross country track teams from 8:45 to 9:30 a.m. Participants will have the opportunity to run the 5790 foot runway. Registration is required by 8:30 a.m. due to the short window of time that the runway will be closed to air traffic. Fee is $15.
- Car show: The Pittsfield Piston Poppers will be hosting a car show from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Participants should plan to arrive between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. The judging of cars will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with the awards ceremony beginning at 2 p.m. All proceeds to benefit Soldier On.
- Hot air balloon fly-in: Weather permitting, there will be a hot air balloon landing on the airfield at 10 a.m.
- Radio-controlled aircraft demo: Come watch as members of the Berkshire County Radio Control (RC) Flying Club demonstrate what remote-controlled flight is all about from 11 a.m.-noon. There will be remote-controlled aircraft on display throughout the day.
- Pull-a-plane: Be a part of the first Massachusetts-based pull-a-plane event from noon-1 p.m. to raise money for the Mass Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics.
- T6 flying demo: Mark Murphy will lead a flying demonstration in his classic WWII T6 trainer from 1-2 p.m. Rides will also be available.
- Car show awards ceremony: The car show awards ceremony will be held from 2-3 p.m. on the main stage.
- Hot-air balloon departure: Weather permitting, there will be a hot air balloon departure from the airfield at 5 p.m.
For more information, please call Airport Manager Robert Snuck at 413-448-9790.