The next area to be cleaned up as part of the 2000 Consent Decree for the GE-Pittsfield/Housatonic River site is the Unkamet Brook Area. Unkamet Brook and its associated wetland area are located at the eastern end of the GE property east of Plastics Avenue, and the brook and another large wetland continue south of Merrill Road until merging with the east branch of the HousatonicRiver.
This will be the 19th of 20 specified cleanup areas in the Consent Decree to be addressed (not including the upper two miles of the HousatonicRiver and the Housatonic “Rest of River” area).
The major elements of the Unkamet Brook Area cleanup include:
1. Removal of 2 acres of invasive “phragmites” reed from the wetland abutting Dalton Avenue and the former GE facility (purple areas on map).
2. Rerouting the brook to its former location outside (east of) an existing but long-closed landfill on GE property.
3. Placement of a multi-layered protective cap system over this 7-acre former landfill (green area on map). Part of this landfill is currently a paved parking lot to the east of Plastics Avenue.
4. Removal and off-site disposal at a licensed facility of about 26,000 cubic yards (cy) of PCB-contaminated soil (red areas on map) followed by placement of clean backfill.
5. Removal and off-site disposal at a licensed facility of the top foot of sediment, about 1,900 cy, within Unkamet Brook from Dalton Avenue all the way to the Housatonic River, followed by placement of clean backfill.
6. Removal and off-site disposal at a licensed facility of accumulated sediment within four culvert pipes which the brook flows through on its way to the river.
What to Expect
Note that one of the two east-bound lanes on Dalton Avenue will be closed during normal work hours for about 40 days in the December 2014/January 2015 timeframe to allow this work to proceed. Some increased truck traffic may occur periodically throughout the project. The cleanup work described above that is north of Merrill Road is scheduled for December 2014 to December 2015. The work south of Merrill Road is scheduled for March 2016 to December 2016.
- EPA Official Website for the Project
- Unkamet Brook Remediation Project Fact Sheet
- Unkamet Brook Remediation Project Map
For more information on this remediation project, please contact:
- David Dickerson
- U.S. EPA Project Manager
- (617) 918-1329