Republic Services collects the City's residential trash and delivers it to Covanta Pittsfield, LLC where the trash is burned. Covanta uses trash as fuel to generate heat for the production of steam for Crane Paper Company.
Curbside trash collection* is scheduled from Monday through Friday and the daily routes are sectioned off by street location. Please refer to our Curbside Collection Route Map or Curbside Collection Route Listing to find which day of the week your trash collection is scheduled for. If your scheduled pick-up day falls on any of the following holiday weeks; New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, or the collection is cancelled due to a snowstorm, your pick-up will shift one day. Please contact the Department of Public Utilities Administration Office at (413) 499-9330 if you should have any questions.
Please note: If you, or other occupants of your household, have a temporary or permanent handicap or disability that prevents you from placing waste containers at curb for pick-up you may be eligible for backyard collection of your trash. To apply for this service, complete a Backyard Collection of Trash Application and submit it to the Department of Public Utilities Administration Office between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The Office is located at 100 North St, Mezzanine Level, Pittsfield, MA 01201.
* ITEMS PROHIBITED AT PITTSFIELD CURBSIDE COLLECTION
- White Goods: appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, washers, dryers and stoves
- Construction/Demo: sheetrock, tile, brick, concrete, etc.
- Yard Waste: leaves, brush, grass, hedge clippings, etc.
- Miscellaneous Items: TVs, computer monitors, lead-acid batteries, air conditioners and stumps