PFD Firefighters M. Mclaughlin, M. Kudlate & J. Healy at 716 North St. General Alarm Fire 7/29/08
Pittsfield firefighters are hired from a list provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Every two years, Massachusetts administers a statewide general aptitude entrance test for firefighters at various locations throughout the state. This test establishes the hiring list for cities and towns, including the City of Pittsfield.
Qualifications for the City of Pittsfield at the time of the test:
- You must be at least nineteen (19) years of age at the time of the application deadline.
- You must be a resident of the City of Pittsfield at least one (1) year prior to the examination date to qualify for residency preference. Applicants who have resided in the City of Pittsfield for an entire twelve month period immediately preceding the date of examination are entitled to be placed on the eligible list for Pittsfield ahead of any non-residents.
Qualifications for the City of Pittsfield for appointment:
- Pass a written test for Fire Fighter administrated by the State.
- Pass a Physical Abilities test administrated by the State.
- Pass a character background investigation.
- Pass psychological screening.
- Meet medical fitness requirements.
- Have a valid Massachusetts driver's license.
Please refer to the Civil Service Examination Schedule for upcoming exams and information.
Veteran and Active Duty Military Applicant Information
Veterans should refer to the state web site concerning special information for the definition of a veteran, taking a makeup test and the documentation needed for veteran's preference at www.mass.gov/civilservice. Once there, scroll down to the Veteran and Active Military Info link.